Follow Me on Pinterest

Instagram

Polka Dot Rosie

Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Nautical Themed Baby Shower Card

Hello, hello! Today I'm sharing a card that I made recently for a nautical themed baby shower.  As soon as the word "nautical" came out of my friend's mouth, I knew exactly what I was going to do, and it turned out to be such a happy card....



Isn't that darling?!?!  The baby's name is going to be Liam, so it just made sense to name the cute little boat after him.  My initial plan was to use my Silhouette to cut out the sailboat, but it just wasn't turning out the way I wanted, so I decided to try using my dies and punches. First, to make the bottom of the boat, I used my printer to print "USS LIAM", cut the words out with a circle die, and trimmed about a third off before distressing it; I used a tiny circle punch for the little windows, and a 1" square punch for the sails, cut it in half, then trimmed until it looked the way I wanted.  The flag is the tail of a bow punch, and  I used a toothpick wrapped in twine (how's that for thinking out of the box?!?) to make the mast.  The mast was the trickiest thing on here. I had to glue like crazy to get the twine to stick to the toothpick, then let it dry overnight before gluing it on the card. Once it was glued to the card, I left it alone for a few hours to make sure it was really dry, then came back and put the rest of it together.  Because the mast stuck out farther than the rest of the boat, I used pop dots to make everything else line up with it.

I used a fun template from Kiwi Lane Designs to make the waves.  I just traced the lines on shimmery blue paper and fussy cut. The clouds and the sun are from one of my favorite manufacturers, Peachy Keen Stamps. They are adorable and so fun to work with!  The clouds are actually a background stamp, so that was the very first thing I did when making this card, then I added the waves just the way I wanted them, the sailboat, then the sun.

Here's my long list of products:
You Are My Sunshine by Peachy Keen Stamps
Cloudy Day by Peachy Keen Stamps
Robin's Egg by Colorbox Ink
Copics Markers (Y 02. 06, 08; R20)
Twine
Punch Ribbon Bow Medium by Martha Stewart Crafts
Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
Pumice Stone Distress Ink
Sponge
Assorted Cardstock
Mini Aspen Court Template by Kiwi Lane Designs
Tombo Mono Multi Glue
Neenah Solar White Cardstock
Mini Circle Punch
Spellbinders Standard Circles LG

Thanks so much for sharing part of your day with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

No need to be shy! I love getting comments and appreciate every one :)